Tuesday, May 8, 2007

KCLS goes 2.0 (perpetual BETA) # 19


I don't know...web 2.0? Is it really the next big thing? I guess so, for the youngsters at least. But I have to say, up until this program I had not even heard of, let alone tried, the majority of topics listed in our 27 things, and I'm not very old. And now, after having been exposed to the majority of the list, I really don't see myself using most of them. But if others do and those "others" are the majority of the library patron base (which I'm not even sure they are) then I suppose the library should keep up and change. It seems a very complicated and deep issue and I'm actually surprised that I would be reluctant to accept new technology in a library setting, since I feel I'm pretty tech savvy in other areas of my life. I guess the Library has just been held in my mind as being separate and timeless in the way that it operates. That was always part of the comfort and familiarity of it for me. But I can also take comfort in knowing that the issues of upgrading, revamping, and keeping up with new trends in technology and information distribution are being discussed, so that the library I grew up with doesn't fade away like the rest of my memories.

No comments: